SM—Seminar in Metaphysics
For next term the Seminar in Metaphysics will acquire focus on Social Metaphysics—making “SM” still fully apt ;-)!
The aim is to contribute to foster and consolidate research lying in the interface between foundational issues in metaphysics and the philosophy of language, on one hand, and social, political, and legal philosophy as well as the philosophy of gender, race, and sexuality on the other—thus connecting with the interests of some local philosophers in groups LOGOS and Law and Philosophy and, more generally, the recently created BIAP—Barcelona Institute of Analytic Philosophy.
Besides this focus in remit, the format of the SM will keep basically the same. We will be discussing work in progress, with pre-distributed drafts to be read in advance, without presentations by the “speakers”, with an extensive part of the slot devoted to “editorial” feedback as to how to improve the paper.
We will do our best efforts to comply with the guidelines for respectful, constructive, and inclusive philosophical discussion: http://consc.net/norms.html
The SM runs for the core months of the terms, Oct-Dec and Feb-May, on Fridays, 15:00-17:00 at room Ramon Llull (=”ex-Lògica”) (Facultat de Filosofia UB, Montalegre 6, 4th floor, map).
Provisional schedule. (Please, find an archive here.)
- Oct 5: Iñigo González-Ricoy (Barcelona): “Republics Writ Small: Authority and the Political Nature of the Firm”
- Oct 19: Pablo Rychter (València): “Abilities and Social Self-conceptions”
- Oct 26: Teresa Marques (Barcelona): “Dangerous Speech”
- Nov 2: Esa Diaz-León (Barcelona): “The Meta-metaphysics of Gender and Race”
- Nov 9: Dan López de Sa (ICREA & Barcelona): “Kink: Constructing Sexual Orientations”
- Nov 16: John Horden: “Groups”
- Nov 30: Giuliano torrengo (Milano): TBA
- Dec 14: Francesco Guala (Milano): “Rescuing Ontological Individualism”